Wednesday, April 26, 2006


Good Vs Evil


Well, this is supposed to be a quickie post, but if I can keep to that, it will be a miracle. Speaking of which - look at this divine, divine, gorgeous, angel-breath yarn..........


It's Fyberspates laceweight mohair, which I ordered from Get Knitted (a completely fab company, with friendly staff and efficient service and they always send lollipops and pens and tissue paper). The colourway is Liquorice and I'm really quite in love with it. After it arrived and was sat there on the table, looking all innocent and beguiling, I thought, "no, you're going into my bag with the rest of the stash. I've got three projects on the go and you can stop looking at me like that". But it was so persistently gorgeous and fluffy, I had to give in. Of course, with this hand-dyed stuff you have to wind it into a ball first. I'm used to that now, but this was something else - about 450 yards of sewing-cotton thin yarn in one skein. At first I thought that it would be really difficult and if it got tangled, well, that would be the end of it. But it wound so smoothly and perfectly and the colours were so beautiful, I was enraptured.


Only thing is, I bought it to make a laceweight version of Ella but after knitting the first 24 rows I knew that It would be too flimsy, like wearing candyfloss - what's the point? And you really have to concentrate when you're knitting with this, as it's not just fine, but ultra fluffy, too. This makes it difficult to see the stitches. Anyway, I knitted up a couple of gauge-test pieces and decided I prefer it on smaller needles (3.25mm) and in plain st st. So I've cast on 130 stitches and am attempting a plain and simple jumper - no shaping, nothing (because I don't know how). It worked for the Lanartus, so on a wing and a prayer - here goes.......!


You know those lollipops that come with the yarn? I was in a hurry the other day and unwrapped one and popped it into my bag to suck in the car (I unwrapped it first so that Charles wouldn't hear the paper rustling and then want one-he's too young). Anyway, was having a really good suck, took it out of my mouth to say something to OH and happened to glance down and thought "Oh, I wonder what all those little black bits are-odd." Then I realised I'd been sucking ANTS. Loads of them. More of them than I've actually seen in the house. And they were all squashed and mangled. I was nearly sick (from laughing).

3 comments:

  1. Lovely, lovely wool, and what a fab jumper it will make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want some of that wool! It looks so nice. I've stopped myself going wool shopping for a while though due to a recent very expensive trip to John Lewis. But I think the prospect of free lollipops might push me over the edge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh lovely Fyberspates laceweight. I have a skein of that. It keeps calling me to make "River". I bet it will look fantastic knitted up as a lightweight sweater.

    And as for the lolly and the ants - ewwwwwwwww :-)

    ReplyDelete