Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Vogue 8295 Skirt with Yoke, in Silk Dupion

P8040575
Hi everyone.  I am back, after short hols in St Ives, Cornwall.

I thought, since no sewing is happening here at the moment, I would post a pic of my Vogue 8295 skirt, which I made some time ago, a couple of months I would guess.

You may remember I had said in a previous post that the skirt looked fabulous on the hanger but somehow not quite right when I wore it, and I was thinking of shortening it. Turns out I'm so glad I didn't, as I've worn it several times now and it has grown on me. It's made from a very light yet crisp dupion silk which I bought from Truro Fabrics and I think it's probably better in a longer length as it seems to weigh nothing at all and I suspect it will fly up over my head each time the teeniest little breath of a breeze catches it. Scary. That's another reason for keeping the length. I should have taken some details pics but forgot.

All the seams are bound with rayon bias binding, and so is the bottom of the skirt, which is visible in the above photo. It was my first attempt at binding seams to finish them, and I'm really pleased I tried it. The effect pleases me. I'll definitely be doing that again on other garments. The skirt is unlined, except for the yoke, which is self lined. It has a zip at the side, with a little brass hook and eye above.

 I decided to lay the stripes horizontally for the yoke, as I really couldn't bear how vertical ones would never match up, what with all the gathering in the skirt. Again, I didn't take a photo, but the yoke stripes do match up at the side seams, forming chevrons.

This skirt was so simple to make and much more useful than I anticipated, even in the silk. Usually I pre-wash all my silk in the washing machine but I won't be washing this skirt, as the silk has such a wonderful texture and sheen to it. And, you see the lighter pink stripes? Well, when I look down on the skirt when wearing it, those stripes are a definite orange! Love it! I would like to make at least one more of this pattern but there are so many other more interesting things to make right now. I have such a long list of must-makes.

Before my hol I cut out and marked up the top from Vogue 1247:
P8281503
The shape on me could be great or it could be a disaster. I'll let you know, although I don't envisage being able to get any sewing done for a few days. I have also made a denim Beignet, which should be useful. Will post about it when I get some time. Or, I should really admit, when it fits me! Although it's the same size as this one,P8090656 I have put on so much timber (hehe) that it's too uncomfortable to wear (as is much else in my wardrobe, including the red Beignet). I am taking action to remedy this!  Bring on Davina (yet again), as well as my evening dog walk/run.  Yes.  I know.  I can't believe I have linked to The Daily Fail.  But anyway, love her or hate her, Davina's vids are really excellent if you don't want to fork out for the gym membership (or are too lazy to leave home, like me).

7 comments:

  1. I really like your skirt. I´m not a big fan of midi lenghts but yours look pretty on you. Looking forward to seeing the 1247 top!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thank you!

      I must get my sewing mojo back/find some time to sew my top.

      Delete
  2. Both skirts just rock. The striped duponi so dramatic and the red beignet flattering in a way I couldn't achieve. Great shoes too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gail

      The red beignet was flattering in the photo, but right now it's definitely not! I do like the beignet pattern a lot, actually, but only with some major "non pear-shaped" alterations.

      Delete
  3. I think the striped skirt is the perfect length just the way it is and you were so right to preserve that length! and I adore your red skirt. Cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alice; thank you so much for the compliment on Mum's vest; I shall be sure to pass it on to her :)

    ReplyDelete