Thursday, May 09, 2013

By Hand London Elisalex Dress Muslin

P5082252

As usual, I have been sewing but not blogging about it. Most recently I made a Colette Laurel dress, which I will blog soon(ish)and the above bright (understatement!) orange drill muslin of an Elisalex dress. I had wanted to make this pattern for a while as it's a bit like one of my faves, Vogue 8511, only with the defining features a bit more pronounced, by which I mean the skirt is more bubbly and the princess seams on the bodice are a nicer shape. Oh, and the back is a bit more special, being cut in a lowish "v".

I wanted to shorten the skirt by quite a bit, as this does come up really really long, but I didn't want to lose the narrowness at the bottom, so I took a big chunk out of the "thigh" area. Once I'd smoothed off the sides, it did look a bit of a rounded shape for a skirt but I thought I'd see it through and I think it came out okay. I like the excess fabric and the way it drapes at the sides (actually, now I come to think of it, I did remove a bit more of the curve when it came to sewing).
P4302196
I had to make a little extra bust room by increasing the curve of the princess seams by about a little under a centimetre.  And when I make the real version of the dress (in tartan silk dupion for my brother's wedding) I think I'll take over a centimetre from each shoulder seam as it feels a little big there, and also across the top of the back.
P5072230
I know the fabric is ridiculously bright and it makes me look like a cadaver in some lights (not a flattering look) but I like it!  The shape of the dress is just lovely and very easy to wear as the skirt is so loose below the waist at least.

I am about to make another one in a quilting cotton to double-check the fit before cutting my silk, so will post that as soon as it's finished.

Now I just have to post everything else I have made.  Gosh I am a lazy blogger.

8 comments:

  1. I actually really like that colour on you. And like the abbreviated skirt too. It's going to look amazing in tartan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Evie! I'm really hoping the tartan will turn out okay as I'm running out of time!

      Delete
  2. Seconded, I think the tartan version will be spectacular. The proportion of the skirt in the muslin is spot on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Catherine! And I think the skirt turned out okay mostly due to luck!

      Delete
  3. I hope you keep this muslin and actually wear it out and about - not a cadaver in sight, just tropical bombshell!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I will definitely keep it and have already worn it out shopping. Several people did double-takes in my direction and my friends all commented on it. I will try to post a photo showing its true scary brightness.

      Delete
  4. Ha! You're not lazy if you're on the internet. ;) I've been lazy about blogging too, but if I have to choose between sewing and blogging, it'll have to be sewing.

    And... the dress looks great on you. This will be wonderful in a tartan - I look forward to seeing the next version!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I thought I was lazy because I am on the internet, hehe!

      Thanks for the compliment about my dress.

      Delete